D. Austin Gillis
Austin Gillis is a lifelong Marietta resident who proudly represents individuals all over the State of Georgia. His practice focuses on the representation of people who have been seriously injured, as well as people whose family members have been killed due to somebody else’s actions.
Austin graduated from Oglethorpe University, a liberal arts college in Atlanta, Georgia. He currently serves on the university’s Board of Trustees and previously served as the President of the school’s national alumni association. Austin obtained his law degree from the University of Georgia in 2004 and is a devout Georgia Bulldog fan.
Austin began his legal career as a staff attorney to the Honorable J. Stephen Schuster in the Superior Court of Cobb County. Upon leaving Judge Schuster’s chambers, he spent nearly fifteen years defending big corporations and their insurers. Austin is pleased to put this experience to good use for his clients, to help them maximize their recovery when they have been injured by the negligence of another.
Austin has experience in all manner of civil cases. He has handled cases involving automobile accidents, slips-and-falls, negligent security, construction zone injuries, road defects, medical malpractice, and education law. He has handled business litigation and insurance coverage disputes. He has handled both small claims and large cases involving birth injuries and wrongful death. Due to his vast experience, Austin can quickly recognize legal issues. His legal analysis is thorough and meticulous. Austin takes pride in developing case strategy and communicating with his clients to make sure their needs are being met.
In addition to serving as an experienced litigator, Austin is certified to mediate disputes through the Georgia Office of Dispute Resolution. His experience in a diverse array of civil cases puts him in an ideal position to help litigants resolve their cases.
Austin joined his wife Molly at the Gillis Law Firm in July 2021. He is excited to be working at a firm that values family and community. Austin and Molly have two children, Emily and Jack, and a black lab named Woody. Austin coaches youth baseball and is a huge fan of the Atlanta Braves. Austin’s philanthropic activities include Manos de Jesus mission in Guatemala, the University of Georgia, Oglethorpe University, the Extension, and St. Joseph’s Catholic Church.
- Juris Doctor, The University of Georgia School of Law – Athens, Georgia
- Bachelor of Arts, Oglethorpe University – Atlanta, Georgia
- All Georgia trial level courts
- All Tennessee trial level courts
- The Supreme Court of the United States
- The United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- The Supreme Court of Georgia
- The Georgia Court of Appeals
- The United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- The United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- The United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- The United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee